Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 11: Happy Africa Day!

Before you begin, you may want a cup of coffee. I have lots to tell about!



Believe it or not, today is Africa Day! Thanks for telling me, Google! According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia source, Africa Day celebrates the unification of all its countries in Africa on this day. I don’t think we could have commemorated this occasion with anything more African than going to Cape Point, Cape of Good Hope, Boulder Beach, and Simon’s Town.



Friends, I am honored to say that I have experienced the most beautiful area of the world in just one amazing, awe-inspiring day. I knew this day contained something special as a full rainbow appeared on our drive to Simon’s Town, home to Boulder Beach and the South African penguins. Imagine the most adorable ball of fur with a nose, and you have pictured a baby penguin. These animals freely own Boulder Beach taking complete advantage of the aqua, clear water and soft, sandy beaches. I may or may not have a stowaway in my bag… They are just too precious to give up!





Next, we took a lazy drive to Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope. Here lies the most south-western tip of Africa where the warm Indian Ocean meets the cold Atlantic waters. Because of the drastic current changes, storms frequent the cape but not today. We could not have hoped a more perfect day. (No pun intended!) I truly wish I could describe how beautiful the cape really is. In fact, while gazing over the cliffs to the oceans, several of us tried to brainstorm adjectives that honestly encapsulated our view. Pretty, gorgeous, and beautiful combined do not candidly give rise to how unbelievable this place is.



If the waves coupled with the larger boulders didn’t cause our jaws to hit the floor, the ostriches and baboons did the trick. Literally, they just pranced onto the beaches and up and down the mountains looking for food. In fact, let me share a warning given to us in an informational pamphlet about the cape. “Please be aware that baboons are dangerous wild animals and are attracted by food. Visitors must not feed or tease them. Baboons that have been receiving food from humans become aggressive and have to be destroyed.” I guess Disney’s Rafiki has a wilder side! Never the less, we met!



Also, I have found that in order to see all of South Africa that is worth seeing, you need to hike. I conquered two more mountains today at the capes! We reached the lighthouse at the end of the continent after a few minutes of trying to catch our breaths from the landscape and climbing. I stood on the top of the bottom of the world! From the view, the experience somehow got better. I saw packs of seals and dolphins jumping through the waves in water that seemed like a mile or more below me. I could honestly live in the lighthouse at the cape forever just to marvel at my surroundings if at all possible. Even one of the Asian tourists thought it would be fun to grab me for some pictures. I think my face read, “What in the world are you doing, crazy lady” in every shot. After all of that excitement, I found twenty dollars… I am not even joking. I literally found twenty dollars, not rands, on the ground. South African has paid me in extraordinary scenery and in cash too!



To end almost a completely perfect day, we went to see the final Pirates of the Caribbean. First of all, I genuinely enjoyed it. Props to Johnny Depp for keeping my attention in a theater chair for two hours and fifteen minutes, not an easy job. Second, Americans get completely jipped at the movies. I spent twenty-two rand on this movie and twelve rand on popcorn. That comes to a grand total of $5.23. Who can tell me the last time they spent less than fifteen dollars at the movie theater? Once again, South Africa, you rock!



Random Fact: Waiters and waitresses do not split checks at restaurants. Even when you have a table of twenty-six people, there is only one collective payment of cash. My mental math skills have skyrocketed!

Picture: Coach and I enjoying the view!

No comments:

Post a Comment