Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 3: You have to sing the Lion King songs in Africa!

Sorry for the late post! Internet is not the most reliable form of communication here.



Monday night, we went to a real South African restaurant called Mojo as an official welcome dinner with the entire Global LEAD group. The atmosphere was electric! The tables were made out of surfboards while the floor was a pool of water. Intricate ceramic tiles covered the walls, and all the waiters and waitresses dressed the part. They even came around to the tables to paint our faces! I used my "Just eat, then ask what it is" strategy and more or less enjoyed the meal. We had lamb, chicken, fruit kabobs, salad, and pancake bread. Also, the restaurant entertained us with a band that sang native arrangements. They handed me a maraca which I used to keep the beat while singing a Lion King song. Stereotypical Africa, I know. Still, I couldn't resist!





Yesterday was just a relaxing day! Our morning session included a speaker from the Western Cape Town University History Department who informed us about the background of this beautiful country. It’s amazing how a nation so physically gorgeous can have so many ethical problems. I can't wait to learn more about how its undergone change and continues to develop as a socially accepting country.



For lunch, my roommates and some friends went to the V and A Waterfront, my favorite place so far. This harbor has shopping, beautiful scenery, and a chance to really get to know the locals. To further stretch my boundaries, I ate ostrich lasagna with a smile. Not bad! Alittle mushy but I ate it no problem! Eating odd foods? ...check.



For the next five hours, we wondered through the harbor taking advantage of clear day and trying to kill the batteries in our cameras. Mission accomplished! We even stayed until we could see the man in the big, orange moon over the Atlantic Ocean. However, the best part was high-fiving a group of pre-school boys as we passed. They didn't understand the concept, but after a quick tutorial, I got ambushed. In turn, they taught me how to give a thumb's up tap. Fall in love with African children? ...check.



We closed the evening with a dinner of a few of our leaders and friends at a Greek restaurant called Zorba's. We even talked to the owner, a precious Greek man who spends every morning swimming the cape. I will have to say that he makes the best BBQ hamburgers; coming from a BBQ connoisseur, you may want to check it out. However, I need to teach him the "circle burger in the circle bun" technique. He prefers a circle burger in a rectangular bun. Its a neat trick. Another successful day in Cape Town.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are working your way down the list quickly - checking things off. (But the list will get longer the more you are there...)
    I bet the kids are in love with you, too.

    :)

    ReplyDelete