Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 30: Making each day count

I know you expect a world wind adventure, but the biggest experiment of yesterday morning consisted of a hodgepodge of ingredients in the apartment for cinnamon pancakes. Not too shabby if I do say so myself!



The real adventure began at Beluga’s, a sushi restaurant near the center of the city. Our reservation of thirty created quite the party especially since we arrived just in time for the half off sushi specials. I can imagine that some of you that know me well are reading this quickly to see if I actually ordered sushi, something I have never liked. I have eaten ostrich in every way possible and devoured crocodile on a stick, but I still did not want sushi. Sorry to disappoint. However, my French onion soup appetizer was tasty in addition to my chocolate truffle main dish. Another great meal!



Feeling similar to the blueberry girl in Charlie in the Chocolate Factory, we decided to give Ish and Corvis a break and take a twenty minute walk to the V and A Waterfront. Naturally, we got sidetracked when we noticed a large ice cream cone labeled Gelato Mania. Sure, I had a chocolate truffle, but that was my main dish not dessert! Somehow the gravitational pull of the gelato lured us in for a treat. My snickers gelato would have made my day if N*SYNC videos hadn’t been on the big screen in the shop. While eating, we drooled over Justin Timberlake and rehearsed our “Bye, Bye, Bye” dance. (Picture: Me, Betsy (Alabama), Sarah Lawton (Auburn))





Finally, we ended the evening by meeting the rest of our crew at Mitchell’s at the Waterfront. While enjoying each other’s company, three boys walked in with their southern twang. Immediately, some of the girls flocked to them wanting their story. These recent Auburn graduates are celebrating the new chapter in their lives in a six-star hotel called The One and Only. (I didn’t even know that the ratings exceeded five stars!) We just make new friends everyday!



Sad Story: From the very first day we explored the V and A Waterfront, I have wanted to ride the ferris wheel to experience yet another view of Cape Town. I convinced my friends to use the last few Rand from the trip as a final hooray on the ferris wheel. Unfortunately, when we arrived there last night, construction workers were disassembling the large iron spokes. It now looks like a giant Packman! If that is the only thing I don’t accomplish while living here, I guess I successfully made each day count.



Random Fact: South African restaurants do not have To-Go boxes. Instead, it’s called Take-Away!

No comments:

Post a Comment