Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 38: "I need a take away box, please."

As I am typing these last few blog entries, I look out the window expecting to see Table Mountain and the waves crashing in front of my apartment. Instead, I observe my neighbors walking their dog and drivers going entirely too fast on the tiny road in front of my house. After the experience I just had, it’s hard to accept my old life again. The mundane, never changing, small town just doesn’t compare to the hustle and bustle of Cape Town. However, in its own way, Marietta is just as wonderful. As easy as it would be to share pictures and remember the last six weeks as a “fun time,” I learned too much more than to simply leave it at that. Here are a five ideas, quotes, and memories that I don’t want to forget.



1. Keep Calm and Carry On … During World War II, the English government used this phrase to encourage the people to press on during such a devastating time in their history. In just the few days I have been home, I have seen this phrase three different times in three separate locations. OK. I get it. I’ll remember this idea! In South Africa, we discussed how life can come at you in every direction, challenging you to the greatest degree. However, when the bottom falls out of the sky, at the end of the day, the only thing you can control is your attitude. So, in those situations, keep calm and carry on.

2. Care more than others think is wise, risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others think is practical, and expect more than others think is possible… Essentially, this lesson stressed not living a normal life but living a “wow” life. It means going “above and beyond” on steroids while defying the odds. A “wow” life stems from knowing one’s self and realizing what makes him or her tick. That “tick” should be passion. The “wow” individual takes that passion and runs with it to create a positive change in society.

3. Ubuntu… In Afrikaans, ubuntu means that one “lives because of other people.” Basically, every decision you make influences others, and you should use every moment given to you to learn from your peers. Plus, it implies unconditional love and respect for all people.

4. Do for one that you wish you could do for everyone… Just leaving college and jumping off the highest bungy bridge in the world, I feel like I can conquer the world. However, I need to remember to “do [a] little bit of good where [I] am; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world” (Desmond Tutu). I want to make big changes and may feel overwhelmed at the possibility of solving South Africa poverty for example. Instead, I should invest in one or a few changing their lives just as I would want to change the lives of thousands. Helping just a few will in turn better the world.

5. Preparation, Risk, Integrity, Drive, Everybody… Vince Dooley and his wife Barbara gave a engaging presentation on their views on leadership. As an avid football fan, they held my attention with their game scenario analogies. In his PRIDE acrostic, Vince Dooley mentioned that “proper preparation prevents poor performance” using the losing season before the 1980 National Championship game as an example. Then, he discussed how risk can lead to unexpected circumstances while integrity involves “treating others as you want to be treated.” Also, drive and determination overrides talent. Finally, leaders need to remember everybody or that the team accomplishes a goal not just the leader him or herself.



Random fact: Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela, both Nobel Prize Winners, grew up on the same street.

Picture: Great people I met on this trip. (From left: Hamilton-Georgia, Grace-Georgia, Taylor-Georgia, Maddie-Tennessee)

No comments:

Post a Comment